Camillians of the Order in Habits
The Camillians In the US
The Camillians in the United States trace their roots back to the German Province. In 1921 Father Mueller arrived in the United States to investigate a parcel of land to be donated to the Camillians under the condition that a hospital is built on the site. When the area proved to be too remote, father Mueller instead purchased a home on the south side of Milwaukee on 21st avenue for use as a monastery. With assistance from the City clergy, religious institutions, and catholic lay people, the Camillians were able to purchase the adjacent home which they the opened as a small hospital for the elderly and incurable.
In a few short years the numerous requests for rooms necessitated a larger facility. The suburb of Wauwatosa was selected as the site for the new facility, and there the Camillians purchased seven acres of land to build upon. On May 29, 1932 Archbishop Samuel Stritch dedicated the new hospital, which offered accommodations to sixty-five patients, irrespective of race, color or creed. In 1936 the Camillians of the United States became independent from their Mother Province in Germany and formed the North American Commissariate of the Order.
Over the decades the original hospital has underwent several expansions and renovations and remains to this day. Almost 100 years have passed since Father Mueller purchased the first house in Milwaukee. Today the St. Camillus campus has expanded to 23 acres and includes a 279 apartment retirement community, Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing, and Memory Care facilities.